ArtStream, Theatre & Events Manager
Posted: July 19, 2017 at 2:30 pm
ArtStream uses theatre to teach communication, self-advocacy, and social skills while improving self-confidence and independence. Skills include public speaking, listening, self-awareness, and workplace communication. ArtStream’s Inclusive Theatre Companies and Cabarets develop and perform original musicals that feature adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) including autism.
The Theatre and Events Manager is a multi-faceted position responsible for coordinating the productions created by Inclusive Theatre Companies and Cabaret performers, as well as the planning and logistics for the annual fall fundraising Gala, training programs and other events throughout the year. Responsibilities include coordinating all aspects of the backstage and front of house for 6 Theatre companies (3 production venues), overseeing volunteers, supervising contracted theatre staff, and managing the costumes and props. The Theatre and Event Manager also develops program policies and systems.
Reports to: Executive Director Primary
1. Hire and manage the contracted Production and Operations staff for Inclusive Theatre Companies and Cabaret
2. Manage all backstage tech needs for Inclusive Theatre Company productions and Cabaret
3. Manage costumes, props, and scripts in partnership with Stage Managers, Costume designers, scenic artists and script editors.
4. Develop and manage the season calendar and venue acquisition including site visits, contract negotiation, etc.
5. Scheduling, managing, and facilitating all production meetings, design meetings, and check-ins, ensuring deadlines are met
6. Analyze and approve all designs submitted to determine feasibility of execution within the allotted time, money, and personnel
7. Facilitate clear communications throughout the production process.
8. Attend evening rehearsals, auditions, designer run, prop check in, four production meetings, load in, technical rehearsals, performances, and load out, as needed.
9. Develop working relationships with area designers, production managers, technicians, and actively scout new talent
10. Oversee inventory and maintenance of all shop, lighting, costume, prop, and sound equipment.
11. Coordinate annual Gala logistics, including entertainment, set up, volunteers, and cleanup
12. Serve as non-voting member on the Board of Directors of the Theatre Consortium of Silver Spring.
Qualifications and Requirements
1. College degree or equivalent in arts administration, theatre, or a related field
2. Minimum of two years of experience in theatre production or event management or a related field
3. Excellent computer skills and detailed knowledge of spreadsheets; knowledge of common industry-specific software such as CAD programs, Lightwright, Qlab, or Isadora. Experience reading ground plans, light plots, and other theatrical specifications a plus
4. Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, including creating, monitoring, and adhering to budgets, overseeing production calendars and schedules
5. Negotiating and acting as mediator in artistic and technical discussions
6. Working knowledge of disability, accessibility and inclusion practices preferred
7. Access to reliable transportation to attend meetings around Montgomery County and Northern Virginia
8. Able to lift 50 pounds and climb ladders on a semi-regular, as-needed basis
9. Outstanding oral and written communication skills
10. Innovative and resourceful problem-solving ability; flexible and adaptable; able to manage multiple, changing priorities and deadlines
11. Ability to promote and represent ArtStream to the public
12. Strong track record of high integrity, good judgment, confidentiality and discretion
13. Scheduled night and weekend hours are required.
Contracted theatre staff and volunteers
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Flexible hours may be pre-arranged to support evening and weekend work as required for production meetings, during tech week, and as job duties demand.
ArtStream is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Salary commensurate with experience
Date Created: 07/07/17
To apply, send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com