Arts Council of Fairfax County, Grants Program Internship
Posted: August 11, 2017 at 11:36 am
The Arts Council is the recognized voice of the arts in Fairfax County, dedicated to fostering a dynamic and diverse local arts presence and participation. We ensure that artists and the arts thrive by providing vision, leadership, advocacy, funding, education and capacity building.
The Arts Council is funded in part by Fairfax County, corporations, foundations, individuals, and the Virginia Commission for the Arts, an agency supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts.
SUMMARY OF GRANT PROGRAM
The Arts Council distributes $500,000 in grants annually to over 60 arts organizations and artists throughout Fairfax County. There are 5 grant programs administered throughout the year.
The intern will report directly to the Grants Manager. This is a part-time position at 8-24 hours per week with flexible scheduling. The internship is available year-round. The Grants Intern will assist in three areas:
- Collect information on regional and local grant programs including types of programs offered and efforts to encourage public engagement.
- Research and develop resources including consultants, conference and training programs to assist grant applicants.
- Print and file grant forms, correspondence, and other grant documents as assigned.
- Verify proper Arts Council credit by grantees on websites and printed materials and follow up with arts organizations as needed.
- Update comprehensive panelist spreadsheet of past, current, and potential reviewers and update the constituent database for panelists as needed.
- Assist with testing on-line grant application system.
- Assist with award mailings.
- Assist with preparation for grant workshop.
- Assist with promotion of grants program.
- Identify contacts at arts organizations that haven’t previously applied for grants.
- Survey organizations in underserved magisterial districts as to why they aren’t applying for grants.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Solid skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, Access skills a plus but not required
- Possess the ability to work independently and in groups
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Arts background or knowledge preferred
BENEFITS OF INTERNSHIP
- Gain Knowledge of Grants Administration
- Learn about community arts organizations
- Enhance organizational skills
- E-mail resume and cover letter to Lisa Mariam, LMariam@artsfairfax.org
- Mail resume and cover letter to:
Arts Council of Fairfax County
2667 Prosperity Avenue, Suite A
Fairfax, VA 22030
- For questions, please call Lisa Mariam at 703-642-0862 x1