Ford’s Theatre, Major Gifts Officer
Posted: September 5, 2017 at 3:51 pm
We are expanding the Development team at Ford’s Theatre! The Major Gifts Officer will work closely with the Director of Development and the Director of Ford’s Theatre to launch a major gifts program and actively drive fundraising efforts from individual donors with a focus on four-, five- and six-figure gifts. The Major Gifts Officer will serve as the primary steward and solicitor of a portfolio of individual prospects and donors, and must be an experienced fundraiser and a self-directed team member who cultivates strong relationships with patrons to deepen engagement and increase support.
The position is based in Washington, D.C.
Ford’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Work with the Director of Development on launching a major gifts program to increase annual and deferred giving to Ford’s Theatre Society and to support future campaigns/initiatives
- Manage a portfolio of major and deferred prospects/donors with a focus on soliciting gifts of $5,000 and higher. Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors
- Primary staff liaison for the Abraham Lincoln National Council. Responsible for growing this key group of Ford’s Theatre supporters
- Produce high quality written materials including proposals, briefings, solicitations and acknowledgements
- Complete a target number of prospect/donor face-to-face visits (including discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship) and solicitations each year
- Develop giving and recognition opportunities to encourage giving in areas of greatest need and maximum impact for donors
- Work with individual giving team to establish plan for adding membership levels between $5,000 and $20,000.
- Identify and secure support for Ford’s Theatre Annual Gala and other fundraising events
- Develop and maintain a thorough and accurate understanding of the theatrical and educational programs, Civil War/Lincoln history, and overall funding priorities in order to effectively connect donors and prospects to the work of Ford’s Theatre
- Conduct tours of the Ford’s Theatre Campus for donors and prospects
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Five years or more of successful nonprofit fundraising experience, with a focus on major/leadership giving. (Planned giving experience is a plus!)
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Successful track record working with boards, donors, the public and staff
- Experience carrying a prospect portfolio and record of successfully strategizing to meet financial goals.
- Familiarity with fundraising best practices, standards and ethics
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to achieve results in a fast paced, team oriented environment
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed, and travel occasionally
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Include “Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line. No phone calls please. E/E/O