Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Summer 2018 Internships
Posted: December 14, 2017 at 11:08 am
The National Museum of American History internship program allows a diverse group of people with innumerable interests, strengths, and goals to encounter an educational environment where they can work with and learn from professionals and scholars in related areas of concentration. The Museum offers interns of different backgrounds incredible opportunities in a variety of fields, from public relations to exhibition research to project design. Learning from knowledgeable mentors in the dynamic atmosphere of the Museum and Washington, D.C. area, interns enjoy an intensive experience as multifaceted as the Museum itself. In addition we provide a robust set of enrichment activities that range from behind-the-scenes collection tours, career readiness workshops, director’s talks and field trips.
We currently have four different programs to select from In our Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment system (SOLAA)https://solaa.si.edu/solaa/#/public:
1. NMAH Development Internship (External Affairs) Program – For more information and read our testimonials http://americanhistory.si.edu/getinvolved/internship/opportunities/development
2. NMAH Special Events Internship (External Affairs) Program – For more information and read our testimonials http://americanhistory.si.edu/getinvolved/internship/opportunities/special-events
3. NMAH Office of Communications & Marketing Program – For more information http://americanhistory.si.edu/getinvolved/internship/opportunities/public-affairsoffice-communications-marketing
4. NMAH Internship Program http://americanhistory.si.edu/getinvolved/internship This selection is for all other internship projects outside of External Affairs and Communications & Marketing (i.e. Curatorial Projects; Archives Center; Conservation; Public Programs – Daily Programs, Programs in African American History, Programs in Latino History; Graphic Production; Exhibition Design and more!). Once you select ‘NMAH Internship Program’ you will have to choose three internship projects that are ranked by preference.
The central Smithsonian Office of Fellowships and Internships (www.smithsonianofi.com) has paid internship opportunities that students can apply to and receive funding while being placed with a project at the National Museum of American History. In your essay you can indicate the National Museum of American History or other units as potential placements. Here are a few of those programs:
1. Anne R. and G. Wayne Clough Internship – https://www.smithsonianofi.com/anne-r-and-g-wayne-clough-internship/
2. James E. Webb Internship for Minority Undergraduate Juniors and Graduate Students in Business and Public Administration https://www.smithsonianofi.com/internship-opportunities/james-e-webb-internship/
3. Katzenberger Foundation Art History Internship – https://www.smithsonianofi.com/internship-opportunities/katzenberger-art-history-internship/
4. Minority Awards Program – Internship and Visiting Student – https://www.smithsonianofi.com/minority-internship-program/
5. Native American Awards Program – Internship – https://www.smithsonianofi.com/internship-opportunities/native-american-internship-awards/
6. THE DEADLINE FOR ALL OF THESE IS FEBRUARY 1, 2018 (*Note that this is different from our March 1 deadline)