Step Afrika!, Development & Marketing Associate
Posted: September 8, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Step Afrika!, a 501 (c) (3) organization, is the first professional company in the world dedicated to the tradition of stepping. Founded in December 1994, the company is critically-acclaimed for its efforts to promote an understanding of and appreciation for stepping and the dance tradition’s use as an educational tool for young people worldwide. Step Afrika! reaches tens of thousands of Americans each year and has performed on many stages in North & South America, Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.
Based in Washington, DC, the company has been featured on CNN, BET, PBS & NPR as well as numerous books, documentaries and articles that seek to explore the tradition of stepping. Step Afrika! completes an annual 50-city tour of American colleges and universities from Maine to Mississippi. The company is a model for the use of stepping in educational settings, espousing themes such as teamwork, academic achievement and cross-cultural understanding.
The Development and Marketing Associate will be a creative, hyper-organized, and task-oriented professional who is excited about the work of Step Afrika!. S/he will be responsible for implementation of development/fundraising as well as marketing/outreach projects that seek to sustain and expand current patronage while increasing the visibility of the organization. S/he will report to the Deputy Director and work in close partnership with a small team of 4 administrative staff. S/he will also work in close collaboration with Step Afrika’s external partners to coordinate community outreach, volunteers and special events.
• Manage all donor data in Patron Manager database and ensure all related donor and prospect information, contact reports, deadlines and related gifts are properly recorded and acknowledged in a timely fashion.
• Coordinate benefits for individual doors and corporate sponsors.
• Manage workplace giving initiatives such as the DC One Fund, United Way and World Bank Community Connections Campaign.
• Create ticket sales plan and manage ticket sales income for the Home Performance Series.
• Assist with development and marketing mail and email campaigns.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Coordinate Step Afrika!’s marketing, public relations and community outreach activities
• Develop and schedule content for Step Afrika! social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Coordinate media interest in Step Afrika! and ensure regular and appropriate relationship building responses to media requests.
• Secure and manage in-kind media sponsorships.
• Manage the Step Afrika! brand including the use of logo and images for national and international tour activities.
• Manage and update Step Afrika!’s website including creating simple graphics for home page sliders and call out boxes.
• Research, select and manage contracts and work product for photographers, videographers and graphic designers.
• Develop and execute email and social media strategy including creating content and designing Step Afrika! newsletter, social media posts and events, and monitoring and engaging in social media conversations.
• Coordinate and lead the effort for all group sales and activities for Step Afrika! performances, events, etc.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree (a degree in arts management or related field is preferable). An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• A minimum of three (3) years of nonprofit development and/or marketing experience with emphasis on arts marketing, individual donors and audience development.
• Strong communication skills both orally and in writing.
• Demonstrated social media and web-based marketing experiences.
• Understanding of public relations and media relations.
• Experience in developing and maintaining a working budget.
• Takes initiative and works independently.
• Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects at one time.
• Ability to perform under pressure and within tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated tact and diplomacy when working with others.
• Ability to assist with tasks at all levels.
• Sense of humor and roll-up-your sleeves mentality
Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Mac, Word Press, Mail Chimp (or similar e-marketing program), Patron Manager (or similar database)
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply:
To apply, submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements, writing sample (1-3pages) and any relevant supporting materials as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2017. Please place “APPLICATION: FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME.DEVO.MARK.ASSOCIATE” as the “subject” of your email.
NO Phone Calls Please. For more information, please visit us at www.StepAfrika.org.